It seems I was always in a job that was cluttered... Not the usual type of clutter, but, rather, having a volume of work to be done and it continuing to build up until I couldn't stand it anymore...and Stopped Everything and Got Rid Of the Clutter... Literally...
It was the '60s when I arrived on the campus of West Virginia University. I was hired by Personnel--to work in the Office of Personnel. Cool, right? My first job was as a Records Clerk who was responsible for creating the personnel file for all employees of the University. From high school, having already chosen my career path, I had already learned basics of filing, so was fully prepared to assume the job. I was also, however, to act as Secretary to the Assistant Director of Personnel, Sandy Serpento. It was a good way to be welcomed into the professional part of my life. Five years with staff who trained, supported, and took advantage of my basic skills and honed them to excellence. I was ready for moving up.
It also was a time that I immediately joined professional groups and/or was appointed to campus support groups for employees. We, the staff, were treated as a main asset to success for WVU. During that time I earned hundreds of CEUs which was a program which provided specific educational opportunities taken to improve skills for the job. I felt supported. A functioning organization was where I belonged. Until many years later...
PTSD was incited by the theft of files from the Federal Government archives, during the first term of the present president. It raised the rightful indignation and concerns... Until a political judge got involved. The case was never allowed to proceed... We all knew it was a major breach of government records management...
Today, we still have no idea what the resolution of that fiasco was. Trump was known for taking records and using them to impress foreign representatives... His goal was not part of the purpose of maintaining all records for historical purposes. We all know that. I repeat, we have no knowledge of the resolution of that treasonal act.
Maintaining records is extremely time consuming. Believe me, I know. I can remember that I had now been promoted to the Secretary to mthe Director and the tedious job of filing caused me constant worry. The only way to deal was to place all material to be filed in a bottom drawer of my file cabinet. Thankfully, there was not much call for needing the records of what had already been closed out. But that time of worry resulted in creating methods by which I could continue to function to fulfill and respond to daily work load. Small wooden boxes were used to separate by topic the work underway as one method...
We were also taking time management courses, attending seminars where vendors would bring in equipment or available products that could be used in creating and maintaining efficient files for easy use.
By the time I had moved into management, however, stacks of papers would cover my entire desk... Until I finally couldn't stand it. It was then that I stopped everything and went through everything stacked and acted to move it all off my todo list... My outbox would be stacked and my secretary was then confronted with all that was now on her desk...
So why bring this up at this time? Well... it's a time in my life when, you might say, that saving our democracy, has taken priority over most of my time. That is my burden...
But, two of my closest friends also feel the burden... They are overwhelmed with what is happening in their personal lives.
At a time when we see that the United States Government is not only out of control, but is actually harming our lives--our daily needs, as well as our futures. Each of us are dealing with our own unique issues. The result on our minds, however, is the same. Stress has become a health issue. We are often confused due to fear and lies and not knowing what is real or false. For me, I have become somewhat of a news junkie, but only sufficient enough to understand the "wha's happening" of it all.
I had to bring in a touch of comedy, but this is our reality. So much crap is being initiated by, or incited by, this administration purposely to confuse and cause us even more stress, that we must do "something" for ourselves to begin to again maintain some semblance of control in our personal lives. Knowing it's being done on purpose, aided by a political party as well as the haves of our country, in my opinion, causes even more stress to bear. How could this have been allowed to happen in the United States?
Rachel, who's helping me with many things in my life these days, recently looked at me weirdly. She asked me if I needed her to put my floor sweeper away. It sits in the middle of a doorway. LOL I responded no--that I'd leave it there until it forces me to do something... For me, it works. So all over my house I have little areas of clutter. Within that clutter is an item that I need to deal with. That I really want to deal with... but, it is ranked lower in my own set of priorities. The only thing, right now, that I can control is my own priorities of what to do about disruptions in my life caused by the government and/or corporations that have "got too big for their britches..."
Or, you could say it this way...
I have learned that God will help you begin your day and guide what should be done... He clears your mind from all the confusion that some in the world are trying to create in us... Fear, Stress, and, yes, anger, for what they are doing to God's children! God doesn't care about clutter, dishes unwashed, or whatever is waiting rather than add stress to your limited physical and mental strength...
You see, God does not put a price on His Love... His son paid the price!
We have liberty, freedom, truth and love directly from God our Father...
And those who do not know that who use violence, hate, envy, retribution and all those negative things that are being spewed out of some people's mouths are missing that Joy, that awareness that money cannot buy what all are seeking, deep inside...
A final thought on records management...
My Host, Google, provided a new gadget to help me instead of hindering me...
You see, I've been getting stupid, I think, emails on AOL telling me that I needed cloud storage...you know what a cloud is? I don't either, but I know that it costs money... Paying for space that you can't see, LOL Trying to make a joke these days is very difficult, don't you think? For many reasons...
But I got an email from Google about storage space for my files. I was presented with a Helper. I was shown what files were involved. All I had to do was click and start reviewing... As I worked to manage what was there, I got feedback and praise for acting to free up my dedicated space! Now I'm not in the least interested in detailing how it was done. But I immediately knew that this company was handing me something that was both able to help me in my own personal needs, as well as pointing out that by taking that time to clean out my files was beneficial to all... How do I know that? No money was discussed, asked for, or even suggested... I got a message that a little work had solved the storage space shortage...
Google got a 10 for giving me the chance to work with them and save precious space so that problems wouldn't occur unexpectedly. That little gadget rates a 10 on a ranking of 1-10 plus a an increase to 5 on communication that I'm seeing online. That's a small effort perhaps to them, but it means contentment to this user... Looking forward to learning how to communicate more, your way, knowing that you all care enough to be responsive... God Bless...
Gabby
Comments
Post a Comment