Power, Pipes, and Tax Dollars: Who Pays for the Future of Infrastructure? Part 2 of Series Provided by Gemini
If you're like me, when I hear the word Grid, I might know just enough to get some idea of understanding in my head...and that's it... But when the country is talking destruction of the world, I wanted to know more! And who's paying the bill getting us toward that potential destruction that doesn't seem to be stoppable? At least, that is, unless the Tech Corporations succeed in at least slowing it down and submitting to the already required oversight of such a major change to the country--and the world! Mixed messages from various corporations! I'm hoping the slow down will be approved soon!
As huge technological facilities spring up across the country, a crucial question is surfacing in towns and state capitals: how do we balance private corporate expansion with public utility health?
Public Infrastructure and Federal Debt
Upgrading water lines, power grids, and transportation routes requires massive public funding. Historically, both major political parties have expanded the federal debt through bond issuance and infrastructure legislation to pay for essential public works. Infrastructure spending is vital for modern life, but it also sparks heated debate over national debt and fiscal priorities.
The Utility Connection
While tech corporations fund the physical construction of their own data buildings, those facilities do not operate in isolation. They connect directly into public power grids and municipal water supplies. In many cases, local governments offer tax incentives or utility arrangements to attract tech investment, hoping to boost the local economy.
However, if local power lines or water treatment facilities require major capacity upgrades to support industrial-scale demand, the financial responsibility can fall back on local public utility rates. Citizens are left asking: Are our taxes and utility bills subsidizing the infrastructure for private global corporations?
The Need for Transparency
Currently, many platform specifications, power draw metrics, and exact water usage numbers are kept confidential by tech firms for competitive and security reasons. But when an industrial facility relies on shared public rivers, underground aquifers, and regional electrical grids, secrecy creates public friction and distrust.
Open dialog about utility demands, fair corporate funding for grid upgrades, and long-term planning isn't just a political debate—it's a necessity for community trust.
_______
From
Earth.Org / United Nations University Institute Report (June 2026):"If treated as a country, data centers could rank sixth globally for electricity consumption by 2030... AI-related water consumption would hit 9.3 trillion liters—enough to cover the annual basic domestic water needs of over 1.3 billion people... 'The public debate still often treats AI as software, but AI is also physical infrastructure: data centres, electricity generation, cooling systems, transmission networks, chips, minerals, land and water,' said Kaveh Madani, the institute's Director."
From
Lincoln Institute of Land Policy Analysis:
"A study by the Houston Advanced Research Center and University of Houston found that data centers in Texas will use 49 billion gallons of water in 2025, and as much as 399 billion gallons in 2030... 'Wherever they choose to put a data center, it is like a giant soda straw sucking water out of that basin,' says Brian Colohan."
Transparency? I'm beginning to think that doesn't exist in the United States, by, at least, those we most need to have clarity, honesty, and timely actions that are not to be mumbled and changed by a president who clearly has no understanding of what is happening... Maybe this is a perfect time to mention that I'm a little older than DJT... and I know myself well enough to know that I am more alert and aware than this man who some believed, NOT ME, could be a president of the United States...
If I were a psychologist, I'd be deciding between sociopath, psychopath, egotistic authoritarian, or just plain criminal... ???
I'll be posting shortly another research post about exactly why Palestine is being treated by some peoples...
Comments
Post a Comment