Skip to main content

Read Mephistopheles 9:00 AM--Rhys! Dan O'Brien Provides Fun Satire!

English: Mephistopheles flying over Wittenberg...
English: Mephistopheles flying over
 Wittenberg, in a lithograph
 by Eugène Delacroix. Source Wikipedia)
Mephistopheles, also called Mephisto, familiar spirit of the Devil in late settings of the legend of Faust. It is probable that the name Mephistopheles was invented for the historical Faust by the anonymous author of the first Faustbuch (1587). A latecomer in the infernal hierarchy, Mephistopheles never became an integral part of the tradition of magic and demonology that predated him by thousands of years. He is mentioned only in the magic manuals attributed to Faust. He belongs essentially to literature. In Doctor Faustus (1604), by the English dramatist Christopher Marlowe, Mephistopheles achieves tragic grandeur as a fallen angel, torn between satanic pride and dark despair. In the drama Faust (Part I, 1808; Part II, 1832), by J.W. von Goethe, he is cold-hearted, cynical, and witty—perhaps a more subtle but certainly a slighter creation. At the end of Goethe’s drama, Faust’s soul escapes from Mephistopheles while he is making improper advances to the angels that have come to rescue it.
~~~


Note: If you're like me, you may not immediately have identified the patient meeting at 9:00 Mondays, so I've provided a little background... You may realize that this story is a little on the weird side, so this is my usual warning that if you don't do weird. please don't buy it...LOL 

Ahhh, most other reviewers don't allude to who the individual is; however, with the title, I did not see that it is a giveaway, even if I had to look it up and verify it... If you disagree, let me know, and I might even change everything!

“It sounds like you think people treat you like you were uneducated. That perhaps you are prone to your baser instincts. How does that make you feel?” “How does that make me feel? How do you think it makes me feel? Miserable. Like a troglodyte who can’t keep it in my pants. This is the merman problem all over again.”
“The merman problem?” Rhys waved his hands as if he were a conjurer. “Women want all these myths and fairy tales. A merman is half-man, half-fish. So either they got the right equipment and a fish head, or they got a human torso and fish parts, if you know what I mean.” “I’m afraid I don’t follow…”


“Perhaps you are generalizing a bit.
Not all women assume that a vampire
 equates to fantastical romance.”
“Find me one woman who loves vampires
 and doesn’t think they are those brooding
 and beautiful blokes with the spray-on abs.
The reality is quite a bit different.”
Rhys motioned with his hand to himself.
~~~



Rhys interrupted, becoming irritated for the first time during the session. “I’m undead . Not one of those drooling groaners, but not exactly going to be warming folks by a fire. Need a beating heart to work the equipment women are interested in.”

“This is my job, Rhys. I have to help you confront and move past the hurdles in your life so you can be a happy and productive member of society.” A brief pause grew between them. It became a staring contest with the loser bearing the impetus of the narrative. Rhys rolled his eyes and tucked his feet under the cushions.

“Very well. It all started when I was watching one of those shows again. The dialogue is atrocious. It is as if they write the exchanges how your kind wishes you spoke. No sense of cadence and intonation, just snarky. We are all tortured souls looking for love according to your melodramas.”
~~~


Mondays with Mephistopheles: 
 9:00 AM - Rhys
By Dan O'Brien



Abraham Rogers had become a psychologist for a variety of reasons, chief among them that he was uncomfortable with the rigidity of psychiatry as a profession and its propensity to solve psychological issues with pharmaceuticals. He had his clients call him Abe, as he felt the Doctor moniker was too heavy handed for his type of treatment. He fancied himself a proponent in a long line of humanistic psychologists who offered unconditional support--even to the extraordinary, more specifically, strange clients that he took on...

Now Rhys has apparently taken on the vampire form in his undead life. And I must admit I greatly sympathize with him! Some of you may even have seen me write a small rant somewhere or other lamenting the fact that vampires, in my mind, were supposed to be scary, a part of a horror movie--not someone for whom women would immediately swoon and fall for! Nevertheless, I could see how Rhys would become despondent seeing the many movies and books that are being written these days! I was beginning to think that every single female writer was going to be writing one, just to be in line with the popular topics! Yikes!

Your authors and artists have made metaphors
of our animal instincts, likening bloodletting
to sexual desire and eternal life to fear of death.
Your little stories are built as vehicles for your
idiosyncrasies, not ours.”
~~~
On the other hand, one of these types of beings once got Rosemary in trouble and it became so scandalous that a made a movie from the story!

So the more I thought about it, I thought that keeping the undead/
demons without equipment was a good thing!

Of course, that's just my personal opinion! LOL

Rhys saw his condition as a matter of fate, as opposed to the thousands of human women who had begun to fantasize about them to alleviate their boredom. Which is true, of course, but having Abe agree with him wouldn't really have changed things, do you think?

You see, the thing was that Rhys was riding the metro, and was picked up...specifically, he was asked if he wanted to leave with a woman, who during their early conversation asked if he was "in the life?"

Seems they went to a party where humans were dressed, ahhh, like this... (Learned about her from Perez Hilton)



Well, that's about as far as I can go into Rhys' counseling session without crossing the confidentiality issue, you know... So, if this looks like something that might interest you... check it out... I think if you're into Goth and all that it can entails, this might even be a must-read... You might come to learn that there are some undeads out in the world that would prefer you not become involved in "their" lives...

Actually, I thought it was a fun read...weird, but fun... unique, but fun... A great satire! Enjoy!


GABixlerReviews


Biography

Dan O'Brien has written over 20 books, including the bestselling Bitten, which was featured on Conversations Book Club's Top 100 novels of 2012. Before starting Amalgam, he was the senior editor and marketing director for an international magazine. In addition, he has spent over a decade in the publishing industry as a freelance editor. You can learn more about his literary and publishing consulting business by visiting his website at: www.amalgamconsulting.com. Contact him today to order copies of the book or have them stocked at your local bookstore. He can he reached by email at amalgamconsulting@gmail.com.




Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advocate Joan Price Provides Senior Erotica...

c. 1800-1803 (Photo credit: Wikipedia ) "You are so beautiful! Your hair is shining. You have a beautiful figure! You feel so good in my arms! I missed you so much! I love you to no end! Let's make love right now!" "Just like a typical guy years younger, Max is always ready to go before I am. "I am so horny," he whispers hoarsely into my ear. I smile, enjoying his eagerness... "I want to kiss you all over," he mumbles into my neck as his hands begin to roam... "There's something I want to do, and I hope you will allow me." he begins, rather formally... "I want to kiss you all over and lick your vagina!" "I gasp, feigning shock. "I'll let you as long as you do it as long and as thoroughly as you did last week." "We did it last week?" ~~~ Ageless Erotica Edited by Joan Price I met Joan on line a number of years ago when she was writing a book. Finding her name in my files, I we

A Taste of Honey...May Be More Than You Bargained For... Check out Gamal Hennessy's Debut Novel!

A Taste of Honey:   A Novel of Crime  and Passion   By Gamal Hennessy I don't know about you, but I have trouble with an erotic novel that doesn't have a great background story. So I was very pleased and excited to read A Taste of Honey! If you like it sexy, you're going to find it here... If you like crime stories, like I do...you've also got a good story here! But, if you have sex and crime in one book, more than likely it's also going to get gory, with some parts difficult to absorb... You are thus warned... It seemed only appropriate for our two lead female characters to be the Honey that many of you will know...right? An important definition begins the book: Honey Trap: a strategy where an attractive person coerces another person into doing or revealing something... I wonder why they many times use females for this role...yes, they might succeed, but they are being placed in sometimes very dangerous situations... Hopefully, the women

A Biker's Funeral from the Novel, Running With Wild Blood By Gerrie Ferris Finger

I’m easily amused. Lake circled the rental car around Palms Garden Cemetery. A spiked, wrought iron fence kept the dead in, otherwise, who knew? They might run out and vote. I didn’t say that to Lake for fear of an unappreciative groan.  At the white stone gates, at intervals , the uniformed cop held up a hand to allow other boulevard traffic to flow past the line of bikes and cars waiting to enter the city of the  dead. My skin started to hum. The voltage in the atmosphere was amped to the max despite the fanning palms doing their damndest to make this day a  celebration of the dead. “Don’t anyone light a match,” Lake said. Riley "Big Red" O'Rourke We weaved and shouldered our way through throngs of bikers, some startled at seeing three people not wearing cut, sleeveless denim, or leather, or visible tattoos— until they caught the badges. They growled and spit, then went back to their conversations. Lots of fucks and fuckers bein