Skip to main content

Looking at the Self-Published Nonfiction Book From The Reader's Side...JMPOOC! Know Your Audience...

When I recently went out to find pics of David Copperfield, there were many different versions that popped up... Of course, this book has been published and republished many times over the years...

But what about those books that have been self-published or put into book format by a press? Even though most authors know it these days, there are still new, unsuspecting writers who, having their manuscripts ready, routinely begin to submit for a publisher's consideration.

Perhaps your book was rejected and you decided to self-published...

Recently I've received several books that should never have been published. It wasn't because the topic was not something that might be worth being available as a book... yet they immediately were questionable in my mind... Who am I? Nobody really... But, somehow, when a book comes to a reviewer, there is an expectation by the writer...

Is it good or bad...Tell me what you think, please... What should I do now that you refuse to read my book? Tell me what I need to do to make it work...

I'm sorry, but it is way too late to ask that question to a reviewer..

If you have self-published and have little or no experience in the publishing area, this is my response from a reviewer's standpoint...

I should not be your first reader... In fact, most books that are published are routinely read and reread long before the book comes for a review... Now, even Advanced Reading Copies are distributed months ahead in order to ensure the content is what they want to finally put out. If you are self-publishing, this still needs to happen...

Let me give an example, I recently received a 500+ double-spaced book [a ream of paper]. It was very cumbersome to even pick up. When I opened it, it looked like a dissertation. From my many years of working with students, I know the format requirements, layout, etc. However, it was not a dissertation. It was exactly as intended by the writer as his book.

When you decide to write a non-fiction book, there are many ways and many genres into which such material can be placed. Is it self-help? Is it a substantive work based upon research? Is it based upon your own knowledge and experience?

In my opinion, each of these would require a different approach...because now your information is going to be presented to others. And it is the reader who decides whether that information is valuable to their life, is something that provides guidance, or a way they can help themselves, using your own experience. Or have you done much research and reading yourself, compiled it and then, most importantly, presented it in a logical format for digestion by readers.

A weighty issue must be able to be read by the lay person if that is your audience...

Take for instance the topic of Government--

Automatically, we would normally merge this with out thoughts on politics. And, for somebody like me, we may have already formed our own opinion. Mine is simple. Government is too bureaucratic, cannot possibly be efficient and effective, and, indeed, proves that to be true on an ongoing basis.

Whether someone agrees or disagrees makes a difference in your presentation. How are you going to convince me?

Well, I can guarantee you that it won't be by writing a 500+-page book that you expect people to buy.

If you have a controversial topic, see if they are willing to read a synopsis of your book. Don't have a synopsis? That's your first problem. If you cannot tell me what the book is about within one or two pages, don't expect to be able to market your book.

Once a synopsis has been created and you've asked a small group of people, including those who do not agree with your position, to read it, what is the result? If you get all positive responses, then you probably need to seek out other readers. If you get all negative responses, then you might just have your answer...your book will not have an audience--it will not sell...

One way that you might consider is starting a blog and talking about your topic. Publicize your blog and ask people to follow you. If you are not getting followers, change the tone of your blog. Say, instead of an "I believe" blog, you might consider a "This is what I'm thinking, what do you think or feel about it? Again, if you don't get anybody interested in your topic, then you don't have an audience for your book.

By the way, if your topic is controversial, weighty, or arbitrarily presented on your part, you can believe somebody else has already written about it...

How does your book compare to others already written? Is your material unique, innovative, and are you able to explain why it is different than these other books? And you need to let the reader of your book know what books you've used to come to your conclusions.

Know what audience you are trying to reach? Are you able to get that book to that audience? What is your plan of action to do so?

Let me close this article by sharing about my own book. It's title is Emotional Damages...

That's as far as I got with it although I've started often, created draft sections... The issue was and still is that my job burnout evolved over years and the issues and presentation was potentially so broad that I couldn't figure out how to do a self-help since my experiences could have been very unique.

On the other hand, many people are being asked to handle more duties and responsibilities without a fair and equitable evaluation whether that individual can physically perform those duties...there was no manual on "time requirements" for administrative type positions that I could find. Therefore, I could not provide quantitative analyses that I and my staff were being asked to handle too much, without the staffing required. [Research]

Finally, my own feelings were personal, angry and, by that time, unprofessional. I could see only my viewpoint in relation to what happened. How could I explain it to somebody else in a logical, helpful methodology?

Your nonfiction book might be a valuable, best-seller...but you've got to ensure that an audience is out there... and that your material is presented in such a way that the individuals without your knowledge and experience can read and understand it sufficiently to be of help...to that individual reader... If your book, just as in fiction, does not hook your reader, it's not going to sell.

Tomorrow, I'll be talking about another book that is doing well, but...

Comments, thoughts, contradictions, opinions are alllll welcome! Because...

This is Just My Personal Opinion, Of Course!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advocate Joan Price Provides Senior Erotica...

c. 1800-1803 (Photo credit: Wikipedia ) "You are so beautiful! Your hair is shining. You have a beautiful figure! You feel so good in my arms! I missed you so much! I love you to no end! Let's make love right now!" "Just like a typical guy years younger, Max is always ready to go before I am. "I am so horny," he whispers hoarsely into my ear. I smile, enjoying his eagerness... "I want to kiss you all over," he mumbles into my neck as his hands begin to roam... "There's something I want to do, and I hope you will allow me." he begins, rather formally... "I want to kiss you all over and lick your vagina!" "I gasp, feigning shock. "I'll let you as long as you do it as long and as thoroughly as you did last week." "We did it last week?" ~~~ Ageless Erotica Edited by Joan Price I met Joan on line a number of years ago when she was writing a book. Finding her name in my files, I we

A Taste of Honey...May Be More Than You Bargained For... Check out Gamal Hennessy's Debut Novel!

A Taste of Honey:   A Novel of Crime  and Passion   By Gamal Hennessy I don't know about you, but I have trouble with an erotic novel that doesn't have a great background story. So I was very pleased and excited to read A Taste of Honey! If you like it sexy, you're going to find it here... If you like crime stories, like I do...you've also got a good story here! But, if you have sex and crime in one book, more than likely it's also going to get gory, with some parts difficult to absorb... You are thus warned... It seemed only appropriate for our two lead female characters to be the Honey that many of you will know...right? An important definition begins the book: Honey Trap: a strategy where an attractive person coerces another person into doing or revealing something... I wonder why they many times use females for this role...yes, they might succeed, but they are being placed in sometimes very dangerous situations... Hopefully, the women

A Biker's Funeral from the Novel, Running With Wild Blood By Gerrie Ferris Finger

I’m easily amused. Lake circled the rental car around Palms Garden Cemetery. A spiked, wrought iron fence kept the dead in, otherwise, who knew? They might run out and vote. I didn’t say that to Lake for fear of an unappreciative groan.  At the white stone gates, at intervals , the uniformed cop held up a hand to allow other boulevard traffic to flow past the line of bikes and cars waiting to enter the city of the  dead. My skin started to hum. The voltage in the atmosphere was amped to the max despite the fanning palms doing their damndest to make this day a  celebration of the dead. “Don’t anyone light a match,” Lake said. Riley "Big Red" O'Rourke We weaved and shouldered our way through throngs of bikers, some startled at seeing three people not wearing cut, sleeveless denim, or leather, or visible tattoos— until they caught the badges. They growled and spit, then went back to their conversations. Lots of fucks and fuckers bein